Did you know that mice can transmit diseases that are possibly fatal to your family members?
Well, research has shown that constant interaction of the rodents’ urine and feces can spread Hantavirus and Salmonella bacteria.
As such, it’s crucial that you eradicate mice from your house to guarantee healthy living conditions for your family.
This guide offers tips that will enable you to select the best mouse trap that will eliminate mice completely.
10+ Best Mouse Traps to Buy – Effective Way to Eliminate Mice
Mice are highly cunning and you’ll need to use the right traps if you’re to overcome them. Even then, it’s necessary that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter since any ignorance will undoubtedly dilute your chances of eliminating the rodents.
In this guide I’ll highlight the 10 best mouse traps that you can purchase based on features and customer experiences.
When you find and buy your ideal trap, you should ensure that you follow the application procedure as detailed in the manufacturer’s guide. That way, you’ll be guaranteed of success.
If you still care about the welfare of the animal, then you should consider this trap. It’s the best humane trap that’s available on the market since it uses a “catch and release” strategy. It has been approved as the most humane trap by humane societies and animal welfare groups in the US. To achieve the best results with this mouse trap, you need to have at least two traps positioned in the common route of the rodents.
- Exposes the mice to nil pain and suffering
- High safety
- Easy to set and use
- Lifetime warranty with 100% money back guarantee
- Constant checking required to guarantee a live catch
- Time-consuming since you’ll require to transfer the live mouse to a suitable habitat
It features a high sensitive trigger mechanism that locks the door automatically when the trigger is touched. It also features an exclusive patented design that makes it highly efficient and easy to use.
To catch rodents the right way, you should place the trap in a dark and gloomy place where mice and rats usually pass by when going to their nest. Be sure to put fresh, sweet-smelling bait (such as sausage cheese, or peanut butter) both on the inside and outside of the cage door. Leave the door open and let the trap do the rest.
- Doesn’t kill or harm rodents
- Easy to set and unload caught rodents into the wild
- Non-toxic, thus it’s safe for people and pets
- Made of sturdy and durable aluminum, thus rats cannot bite it open
- Easy to clean and reuse
- Can be frustrating if you dislike handling mice
If you’re particularly looking for a reusable trap, then this is arguably the best that you can get. Mouse Trap by Kat Sense is a high-precision rat and mouse trap that offers the perfect solution for catching bothersome rodents in a messy-free way. It’s designed to kill small rodents swiftly and with as minimal pain as possible.
This mouse trap features the “Press and Set Secure Catch Design” that can be set with just one touch. It also features a more responsive and precise trigger mechanism for superior capturing power. Another handy feature is that it comes with an integrated bait cup to hold the bait.
This Mouse Trap by Kat Sense is molded from tough non-absorbent polystyrene that exterminates mice cleanly without breaking their skin. What’s more, is that it has a stainless steel spring that holds rodent tight with 35 percent more force than other comparable traps.
This reusable snap trap is super easy to set and use. What you need to do is to take the removable bait cup by rotating it 90 degrees, add the bait, insert the bait cup back again, and rotate again to lock. Position the mouse trap in a strategic point and wait for rodents to come marching in. Once caught, you can open the trap with a simple one-touch push and release the dead rodent right into your garbage bin.
- It’s easy to set and use compared to traditional wood traps
- The non-absorbent polystyrene does not lock in stains and odor, plus it’s easy to clean
- Kills rodents cleanly without breaking the skin, thus no blood, odors or mess
- Backed by a full money-back guarantee of complete satisfaction, so you have nothing to lose
- It kills, thus not very humane
For those looking for an economical way to get rid of rats and mice, they will be happy to find this mouse trap. Victor M154 Metal Pedal Mouse trap is an original wood-based wire snap trap with a trip pedal. This US-made mouse trap, which is possibly the cheapest mice trap you’ll find today, is ideal for runway trapping. What’s more is that you can reuse it or dispose of it at will.
- Doesn’t contain any chemicals or positions, which makes it safe to use around children and pets
- Perfect for quick and clean trapping
- Works effectively when baited correctly
- Significantly difficult to set
Kill rats and mice instantly and humanely with this mouse trap that’s perfect for indoor use and occasional rodent infestations. One of the features that sets this mouse trap apart from many others is that it has a “no touch, no view” feature which improves its safety.
Forget about other mouse traps that are intricate to set and snap fingers. This efficient mouse trap is super easy to set and use. All you have to do is insert four AA batteries into the battery compartment, place peanut butter or pet food as bait along the back wall of the trap, turn the trap on, position it strategically, and relax.
Should a mice or rat come wandering about, it will be killed with a strong, deadly shock. The aftermath will be no blood, no mess – just one dead rodent waiting to be disposed of. This trap kills one per set, and it can kill up to 20 rats per set of batteries. As with any electronic gadgets, this mouse trap should be used with caution around children.
- Kills fast thus relatively humane
- Easy to use
- No interaction with the dead mice
- Easy to clean and reuse
- Safe for use around pets and children
- Requires high investment (both for purchasing trap and the 4D batteries)
- Regular monitoring required to eliminate the mice quickly
- Not ideal for outdoor use
With a 100% kill rate, Victor M-250SSR2 is possibly the best electric mouse trap you can use. It features advanced smart circuit technology that senses the entry of a mouse through the tunnel. It features an inventive technology to deliver a humane, high-voltage shock that kills mice instantly and cleanly.
Setting this trap is quite easy. To use the trap, you need to put a high protein bait in the bait cup that is included in the trap. Position the trap in an area with high rodent activity and switch it on. Once a rodent is killed, a green LED light blinks to signify a kill. The trap comes with a removable kill chamber, which makes it easy for you to dispose of the dead rodents.
- Easy to bait
- Easy to clean
- Highly effective with a 100 percent kill rate
- Allows for “no-see, no-touch” disposal
- Kills quickly and doesn’t leave a bloody mess
- Doesn’t contain toxic substances. Thus it’s safe for use around pets and children
- Not ideal for outdoor use
- Not a good choice for those who don’t advocate killing
There is no better way to electrocute troublesome rodents than with Victor Multi-kill Electronic Mouse Trap. This electric mouse trap uses high-voltage shock to decimate mice and rats instantly and humanely. One of the helpful features this electric mouse trap comes with is an integrated safety switch that deactivates the trap automatically when the lid is opened. The trap can be used anywhere indoors.
Setting this electric mouse trap is incredibly easy. After inserting 4 C-cell batteries and returning the battery cover, you should open the top of the trap and place peanut butter or a high-protein bait at the bait trough. Be sure to use a toothpick or any other sharp item when baiting to prevent the transfer of your scent to the mouse trap.
After baiting the trap, you can close the lid and position the trap at a place where rodents primarily travel. Ensure that the trap sits lengthwise against the wall with the entrance hole near the wall. Switch on the trap and a green light will indicate that the trap is working appropriately by blinking once. When the green light blinks repeatedly, it means that there’s a kill.
- Easy to clean
- Unique built-in safety switch that makes it safe to use
- Has a collection drawer that allows for easy, no-touch disposal
- Kills quickly and doesn’t leave a bloody mess
- Doesn’t contain toxic substances, thus it’s safe for use around pets and children
- Has a tiny entrance that’s too small, which makes it difficult for mice to get in and reach the bait
- Not ideal for those who don’t advocate killing
This is another incredible catch-and-release option for your rodent infestation problem. It’s highly convenient as it can be used in any environment. This means that you can set it indoors or outdoors. It is designed to catch one mouse at a time without causing any harm. After successfully catching a rodent, you can easily release it to the wild so you can reuse the trap.
One of the features that set this mouse trap apart from many other traps is its design that doesn’t have a door or obstacle that the rodent has to get past or push through for the trap to work. This makes the trap very easy to use.
- An easy-to-use trap
- Humane trap that doesn’t kill or harm rodents
- Does not contain harmful chemicals or poisons, thus very safe to use
- Since it doesn’t kill rodents, it does not result in a bloody or messy capture
- Difficult to tell when a rodent is caught as the plastic isn’t clear and there’s no window that lets you see if there’s a mouse inside the trap
If you’re looking for a sure-fire way of killing mice and rats instantly, you should consider buying Tomcat Press N Set Mouse Trap. This handy trap effectively traps and kills mice, thanks to its inventive design. It is made of strong heavyweight plastic, which makes it sturdy and durable. It also comes with a spring that makes the trap highly efficient in catching rodents.
This trap is one of the mouse traps that are incredibly easy to use. To catch mice, you should start by baiting the trap, then placing it at a strategic place where rodents are active. After the trap catches a rat or mouse, you can then make use of the trap’s grab tab to throw away the dead rodent.
- Easy to clean
- Allows for a no-fuss, no-touch experience
- Comes with built-in grab tab that makes disposal easy
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Sturdy and durable
- Compared to other mouse traps made of steel and aluminum, this trap isn’t as durable
The Jawz Plastic Mouse Trap is a cost-effective solution for exterminating rowdy rodents. This mouse-size snap trap is made using heavy-duty plastic, which makes it sturdy and durable. It features an easy-to-set design that helps to keep your fingers safe. You can use either solid or liquid bait. Its design also enables you to dispose of dead rodents without necessarily touching them.
- Easy to set and bait
- Features a durable construction
- Reasonably priced
- Set by foot or by hand
- Not safe for pets
If you’re looking for a humane way to get rid of mice in your house, then you should consider Kat Sense Humane Smart Mouse Traps. The trap comes with a unique design that allows the rodent to survive until you rescue it. It’s crafted from high-quality non-absorbent polystyrene that ensures high efficiency and durability. Also, it has a strategically positioned cap which attracts the mouse into the inside of the trap. When that happens, the door closes and mouse is unable to come out until you release it into your preferred location away from your house. To ensure the mouse’s survival, the trap has holes for aeration. As such, the mouse will have enough oxygen and food (from the bait) to survive as it waits for your rescue.
- Humane live trap
- Easy to set
- Polystyrene material is easy to clean
- Highly efficient
- Safe to use when you have children
- Requires regular trips away from your house to release the mouse
Mice Cube Reusable Humane Traps are made out of high-quality plastic, which makes it light to carry yet durable. It has free-swinging door opens towards the inside, and it is light enough to allow an easy open push by the mouse. Also, the door has some holes which allow the aroma of the bait to escape to the immediate surroundings, thus attracting mice to the trap.
Immediately the mouse enters, gravity enables the door to close automatically, which makes it impossible for the stubborn rodent to escape. To ensure that you achieve the best results, I recommend that you spread an extremely thin layer of peanut butter at the swing door. This will attract more mice, which will translate to better results. Also, ensure that you place several traps strategically along the path of these rodents. The trap measures 2″x2″x 5.75” which is an ideal size to guarantee portability and ease of use. Whenever the gadget traps a mouse, I recommend that you wash it thoroughly to ensure that the mice do not realize that it’s a trap. Use a fresh bait each time you need to use the trap afresh.
- Offers a “No Touch” experience
- Easy to use
- Highly washable and reusable
- High safety levels. Can be used in the presence of children and pets
- Highly affordable
- Demands a lot of attention. If you let the mouse overstay inside the trap, it will die of hunger and dehydration
- Requires regular trips away from your house as you release the mouse into a different location
Buying Guide: Types of Mouse Traps
The success of eradicating mice from your house for good largely depends on two factors:
- The type of trap you choose
- How well you use the trap to achieve your mission
This guide will help you to select the best types of mouse traps in the market that have been tested and proven to have high mice eradication efficiency. For appropriate use, we recommend that you carefully read all the guidelines outlined in the manufacturer’s booklet. Here are the top five most effective mouse trap types:
Snap Mouse Traps
This remains to be one of the most popular mouse trap due to its proven efficiency. Additionally, this gadget has been classified as humane by the humane associations in the US due to its ability to kill the rodent instantly. This working mechanism ensures that the mice experience minimal pain before they die.
It consists of a trigger which is easily offset by the mice’s movement. You must ensure that you use a bait that will attract the mice to the trap (the most preferred is peanut butter). Once the mouse moves towards the bait, the trap will offset and kill it instantly.
To ensure your safety, you should never touch the dead mouse using your bare hands. Instead, you should carry the trap to where you wish to discard the carcass and release it. Alternatively, you can wear high-quality rubber gloves and remove the dead mouse from the trap before throwing it into the trash can outside your house. Ensure that your children and pets will not have any access to the dead rodent!
- The trap is humane
- Highly effective
- Relatively affordable
- Easy to use
- Need to have many traps
- Can be risky if you have pets and children
- Requires direct interaction with the dead mouse
If you want to achieve the best results when using this trap, I recommend to use multiple traps and set them around the areas of your house, where mice potentially hang out. Such areas may include the ceiling, garage, basement compartments, and kitchen stores.
Electric Mouse Traps
The traps use electric current to catch and kill mice. To improve efficiency, I recommend that you purchase several traps. This will enable you to choose different strategic locations where you can place the traps, thus accelerating the process of complete eradication.
However, you shouldn’t lose hope if you can only afford one trap. You can still eliminate the mice successfully, but you’ll need empty the trap as soon as it captures a mouse and reset it immediately. Using this approach, you will take approximately one week before you eradicate the stubborn rodents for good.
Working Mechanism: When you get the trap, you should lift the lid and strategically place a bait. The bait should ALWAYS be placed at the farthest end of the trap to ensure that the mouse enters inside the trap, thus reducing the chances of survival. Immediately the mouse steps on the sensor, a high-voltage current will electrocute it in a few seconds
- Instant killing reduces the suffering
- High reusability thus effective cost
- Highly efficient. The chance of escape is close to nil
- High durability. It can last for several years
- A plastic cover prevents direct interaction with the mice
- Relatively expensive compared to snap traps
Humane or “Catch and Release” Mouse Traps
These traps are highly humane and they do not kill the mouse. Instead, they will enclose the rodent such that it cannot escape. This gives you the leeway to transfer the live mouse to a different habitat.
How it Works: This trap requires a bait which you’ll place strategically to attract the mouse. Immediately it enters, it’ll trigger the closure of the door. This leaves it inside until you let it go. You can choose to either use the metal or the plastic trap.
- Humane trap. No killing involved
- Easy to use
- Requires regular monitoring
- There is a chance of re-infestation
Glue Mouse Traps
This trap uses glue to trap the mouse. The trap is made in a way that it has a highly sticky surface that makes it literally impossible for a mouse to move immediately it steps on it.
In most cases, you’ll be required to throw away the trap after it catches the mice. However, this method is not recommended because it’s awful. It causes a lot of pain and suffering to the mouse since it takes time before it dies. In fact, it remains fixated in a single spot without food or water to drink until it dies of hunger and dehydration!
- It’s safe for use. No chance of hurting your fingers when setting the trap
- They are not humane. The mouse dies from dehydration and lack of food
There are two major traps that you can use in this case; bottle and bucket mouse traps. Here are brief descriptions of how they work.
- Bottle Mouse Traps
If you have access to a soda bottle, then you can easily assemble a mouse trap from home. All you need are a metal hanger, a piece of wood, a cloth clip, and the bottle. Set the bottle in such as a way that the opening side is raised. You should then place the piece of wood strategically at the bottle’s opening. The bait is usually placed inside the bottle. When the mice try to gains entry, it will no longer get out since its weight lowers the side of the opening and the wood blocks it. As such, this is a humane trap.
- Bucket Mouse Traps
This involves setting a bucket in a way that it’ll trap the mice alive. You should set the bait (we recommend the use of peanut butter) around a container suspended on top of the bucket (use a wire to suspend this container)
Immediately a mouse lands on the container, it rotates making the mouse fall into the bucket. When inside, it cannot come out and you’ll have the option to kill it or to throw it away into a different habitat.
- Easy to make and use
- If well made, they can be highly effective
- Requires a lot of time to make
- Needs basic expertise to make an effective trap
How to Choose the Right Type of Mouse Trap?
When choosing a trap, you need to consider the following factors:
- Location of Use. Different traps will work best in different locations. For example, if you want to use a trap in the garage, you should choose a trap that can be placed under the garage clutter without easily being offset
- Safety. If you have children, you should avoid all traps that can cause harm. For example, poisonous traps can lead to death! In such cases, you can use snap traps which are relatively safe
- Ease of Use. Always ensure that you only purchase a product that you’re comfortable operating. If you fail to use it well, then you’ll get unsatisfactory results
- Durability. While efficiency is key, you should never undermine the aspect of longevity when choosing a product. Ensure that you only choose a product of the best standards in the market. It’s recommended that you buy traps with manufacturer’s warrant
Alternatives to Traps
If you are not comfortable using the traps, there are myriad other methods that you can use to keep mice away from your home. Here are the best three techniques to consider:
1. Ultrasonic Repellers
This device uses ultrasonic waves to chase the mice away. However, you need to be careful only to select a trap that can produce enough waves to eradicate the rodents for good. Usually, different strengths are required depending on the size of your room. For example, if a trap is designated to cover an area of 150 feet, it’ll not be effective if you use it in a room of 300 square feet.
- A plugin device
- Highly durable
- The best alternative for mouse traps
- Mice can adapt to the waves thus reducing the efficiency
- If your house is big, the waves may not reach the hiding places
Besides the ultrasound traps, there are other natural repellents that you can use to chase away mice, including:
- Ammonia. The urine-like smell is a sure way of eliminating mice from your house for good. All you need is to place several bottles of ammonia at strategic positions in your house. Ensure that your pet and children cannot reach the foul-smelling liquid. Some of the places you can place the bottles include under the sink, pantry, and the garage
- Peppermint, cloves, and pepper. Mice hate the smell of this mixture! As such, you can soak cotton balls in the solution and then place them strategically in different locations inside the house
- Kitty Litter. The smell of cat’s urine repels the mice. Naturally, mice fear cats, and they will move as far away as possible from the predators. As such, you can place a kitty litter in your house to trick the mice that you have their predator inside your house.
- Have a cat as your pet! This is one of the easiest yet most effective techniques that you can use to rid your house off the stubborn mice. The cat will catch, kill, and feed on the mice. It’s a presence in the house instill fear in the mice and they’ll flee to save their lives
This is one of the most effective methods of eliminating mice. However, it poses significant health hazards since the mice may transfer the poison to other areas in your house before it dies. As such, you should be careful when using this poison to bait the, mice especially if you have children and pets around your house. Some commonly used poisons include:
- Anticoagulants. The poison impairs the functioning of vitamin K resulting in hemorrhage and eventual death due to dehydration. The speed of mice elimination depends on the type of coagulant you use. For example, all coagulants containing warfarin and hydroxycoumarin requires several instances of intake to kill the mice. However, all products that contain bromadiolone and brodifacoum will act fast in eliminating the mice
- Metal Phosphides. These products have significantly low chances of secondary poisoning making them ideal when you have kids in your house. They act by releasing phosphine gas, which is highly toxic to the mice. It may take 1-3 days from the time of ingestion for the mice to die
- Hypercalcemia. The poison has a high combination of vitamins that increases the uptake of calcium into the body. As a result, the mice’s organs are affected adversely leading to their death
Related: 8 Best Mouse Poisons Reviewed
While these methods can help you in eradicating mice from your house, you should store them away from children. In case of any suspected poisoning, you should contact your physician immediately!
If you’re unable to use any of the methods that we’ve outlined in this article on your own, it’s advisable that you seek the opinion of a professional exterminator.
The exterminators have immense experience in mice eradication and they’ll either use a single method or combine different methods to ensure that you get the best results within a short time. To achieve the best results, you should ensure that you follow their advice.
Having mice in your house can be a frustrating experience. As such, you should devise a highly effective technique to eradicate them for good. This guide offers different options that you can consider and apply to boost your mice eradication process. I advise that you go through the list to pick your preferred approach. If you’ve been unable to contain an outbreak situation, it’s always recommended that you consult an exterminator.